2015 MACUL Conference - Tipsheet #1
(This is 1 in a series of 4 to help you get ready and excited about going to this year's conference.)
Yes, we are attending the conference for all the great learning and networking. However, eating is still a necessity and it is important to know where to find food while at Detroit...especially food that you can get quickly, without waiting in long lines! Here are some tips and hints for dealing with that while at Cobo, along with some other tidbits you should know about:
- Staying Hydrated: make sure you stay hydrated!
- there are several fountains and water coolers provided throughout the venue to get water - bring along a refillable cup and keep filling it all day instead of purchasing expensive bottle water
- Food at Cobo: there are several food vendors right in COBO; some tips about these:
- there will be nearly 4000 attendees AND hundreds of additional vendors at the venue, and everyone will be taking about the same meal breaks - either pick up food at odd times or plan on waiting in a line if you eat at common break times in the most convenient to eat places at COBO
- these same vendors are those that serve other events at COBO/Joe Louis Arena - if you have special dietary needs it might be difficult to find food onsite
- remember that you are paying for the convenience of staying onsite - if you have limitations on how much you can spend, be cautious
- Food Nearby: there are other options for food:
- there are many nearby restaurants & bars within a block or two walk of Cobo - many of these are used to handling a large lunch crowd and move people through quickly, but do require you leaving Cobo
- several of the MACUL SIGs (Special Interest Groups) are providing lunch as part of their annual meeting on Thursday - if you have a shared interest, joining one of these free groups will provide you with a cheap or free lunch on Thursday (you can sign up either prior to the conference on the registration site, or once you get there at the registration table)
- the people-mover has a stop right inside COBO - you can even hop a ride to eat someplace a little further from the conference; current rates still appear to be 75¢ per trip
- Special events
- Exhibit Hall - the exhibit hall is where you can find vendors...but there is more-
- REMC $ave game: In your bag at checkin you will get a “game piece” from the REMC $ave team - play to win many cool prizes!
- Spark Sessions: 20 minute “quick” presentations to spark your creativity and ideas
- Student Technology Showcase - come see some projects by student led teams
- Lightning Talks: stories or passions that are designed to enthrall, ignite, inspire, entertain, and/or transform MACUL attendees
- MACUL Party - MACUL is providing a party on Thursday 5:30-7:30! Come for an evening of fun, fellowship,and networking.
- Other social events - if you belong to other special groups (such as the DEN) you might watch your email as they often have special events in the evening or day
Looking forward to seeing you at the conference!