Favorite Apps: Ease into 5K

Part of my job in working with technology is trying out both iOS and Android apps for their uses in education.  While it is fun to play with the kids' apps, it's also nice to find some that are useful personally.  Here's a running program app I use lots that is available for both iOS and Android.

Some background: My oldest son started showing an interest in running several years ago.  He decided he wanted to run in some 5Ks.  Knowing I'd be the one to take him,  I figured I may as well get back in shape and run in the races too as long as I'd be there.

Ease Into 5K iconHence, one of my favorite "health" apps became Ease into 5K by Bluefin  Software (formally the app was called C25K).  They now have a whole series of apps, but Ease into 5K is the one that I used when I started running again two years ago. (This was after about a 10 year hiatus.)

As a running program (plan), I liked it as it follows the  Couch to 5K running plan. This running plan eases you into running, and only requires you to run 3 times a week.  As a person that hates running that was a bonus, and reduced guilt for non-exercise days!  It's supposed to be a 9 week program....I admit it took me 12 weeks :-)

However, why I loved the app is because it was easy to use and visually it was easy on the eye.  It let me create playlist within the app using music on my phone.  More importantly, it actually got me through the program and running 5Ks.  During the summer of 2010, I ran 3 5Ks in the 29-30 minute range; this past summer I ran 6 of them in the 28-29 minute range.  The best part of it was that I got to run many of them with my oldest son. Well, ok, I really ran behind him...


(Cross-posted on my "mom" blog: http://wafflefamily.wordpress.com/)

Popular posts from this blog

Google Script - Create a Drop-Down List from Spreadsheet Column

Google Calendar - How to Share Your Calendar Via Link

Google Mail - Create Calendar Event that Includes Email Message

Google Documents - Creating Page Anchors (aka Bookmarks)

Google Contacts - Newest Area to Get Some "Google Love"