2013 MACUL Conference Tipsheet #4
(This is the final tip sheet in the series of 4 to help you prepare for one of MACUL’s largest conferences ever!)
I’m guessing you will be arriving at the conference sometime within the next 48 hours.
Here are some other tidbits that might help you out as you arrive at the conference:
- COBO Layout: COBO is basically a big “L” with sessions dispersed over 3 or 4 levels of both sides of the L; the shorter side faces the river. If you are moving from a session on one side to a session on another side AND changing floors, know that traffic at the elbow can get a little crowded so plan accordingly with your time. Sometimes escalators can back up for several minutes between sessions.
- Getting Around Town: There are three ways most people attending the conference use to get around town -
- Walking: Many people walk between their hotels and COBO. If you are attending by yourself, you should easily be able to find a group to join between popular locations - just let them know you are heading in the same direction and I am sure they will welcome you. I’m amazed at the number of times I join a group to find out that everyone in the group has just met each other in the last 15 minutes. You might do some of your best networking during these walks!
- Detroit People Mover: There is a stop to the People Mover right within COBO (there are signs - it is on an upper floor at the tip of the “L” furthest from the river). Using the People Mover can get you directly to the Courtyard Marriott or RenCen, and very close to the Holiday Inn and Atheneum. It also can get you to locations with great food if you are looking for dinner - Greektown & Bricktown for some unique dining experiences, Grand Circus & Broadway for more of the “sporting event” eateries (near the stadiums).
- Shuttles: Some of the local hotels also offer shuttle service (the Atheneum and Holiday Inn being two). Be sure to ask at the front desk when checking in if this is a service you might plan on using.
- Parking: Parking will be at a premium with so many people descending on the area at the same time. I would make sure to plan on some extra time to both secure parking and get to where you need to me in the case you have to cover a little more distance than anticipated.
- Suggested Sessions: If you are still struggling over deciding what sessions to attend, here's a Google Doc of Suggested 2013 MACUL Sessions you might want to consider.
Looking forward to seeing you! Hope you have a fantastic time and learn lots.