2017 #MACUL Conference - Tipsheet #1
(This is 1 in a series of 4 to help you get ready and excited about going to this year's conference.)
Yes, you are attending the conference for all the great learning and networking. However, eating is still a necessity and it is important to know where to find food while in Detroit...especially food that you can get quickly, without waiting in long lines! Here are some tips and hints for dealing with that while at Cobo, along with some other tidbits you should know about:
- Staying Hydrated: make sure you stay hydrated!
- there are several fountains and water coolers provided throughout the venue to get water - bring along a refillable cup/mug and keep filling it all day instead of purchasing expensive bottles of water
- Food at Cobo: there are several food vendors right in COBO; some tips about these:
- there will be around 4000 attendees AND hundreds of additional vendors at the venue, and everyone will be taking about the same meal breaks - either pick up food at odd times or plan on waiting in a line if you eat at common break times in the most convenient to eat places at COBO
- these same vendors are those that serve other events at COBO/Joe Louis Arena - if you have special dietary needs it might be difficult to find food onsite
- remember that you are paying for the convenience of staying onsite - if you have limitations on how much you can spend, be cautious
- Food Nearby: there are other options for food:
- there are many nearby restaurants and bars within a few blocks walk of Cobo - many of these are used to handling a large lunch crowd and move people through quickly, but do require you leaving Cobo
- several of the MACUL SIGs (Special Interest Groups) are providing lunch as part of their annual meeting on Thursday - if you have a shared interest, joining one of these free groups will provide you with a cheap or free lunch on Thursday (you can add this option by modifying your conference registration on the registration site - they are found under the "workshops" section.)
- the people-mover has a stop right inside COBO - you can even hop a ride to eat someplace a little further from the conference; current rates still appear to be 75¢ per trip
- Special events
- Exhibit Hall - the exhibit hall is where you can find vendors...but there is more-
- REMC Save game: Make sure to stop at the REMC Booth to find out about this year's game
- Makerspace - get hands-on in the Makerspace lab
- Student Technology Showcase - come see projects by student led teams
- Poster Sessions - check out the educator poster sessions
- MACUL Party - MACUL is providing a party on Thursday 5:30-7:30! Come for fun, fellowship,and networking!
- Other social events - if you belong to other special groups (such as the DEN) you might watch your email as they often have special events in the evening or day
Looking forward to seeing you at the conference!