Google Sheets - Counting Items

Many people that use sheets know how to count the number of cells with numerical entries using the =COUNT function.  For example, here's a spreadsheet where I've documented my running minutes and I want to know how many days I ran:

Pretty simple.  But what if I want to know how many cells within a range have alphanumeric entries?  Or what if I want to know how many cells within a range meet certain criteria?

There are actually a whole series of count functions available in Google Sheets:

COUNTA: will count the number of cells with any entry (nonblank) in a range.  For example, I've added in my strength & conditioning workouts on those days.  Using =COUNTA(range) I can document the total number of days I worked out whether it was running or another workout.

COUNTIF: counts the number of cells within a range that meet a certain criteria.  This formula has two pieces - the range to check, followed by the criteria to match.  If the criteria is text (like in my example) it needs to be within quotation marks.  In my example, I used the =COUNTIF formula to see how many days I did an abs workout:

COUNTIFS: counts the number of cells within a range that meet multiple criteria. With my simple example this would be impossible to demo, so here is just a data set where I have asked it to count the number of rows when both the first column is greater than 15 and the second column is less than 15:

COUNTBLANK: counts the number of blank cells in a range.  For example, I can use it to see how many days I was lazy and did no workout:

COUNTUNIQUE: counts the number of unique entries in the range. In my example, I can see how many different workouts I did.  This is somewhat of a bogus example as it will count all runs of different lengths as different workouts...but it will give you the picture!

Popular posts from this blog

Google Script - Create a Drop-Down List from Spreadsheet Column

Google Calendar - How to Share Your Calendar Via Link

Google Mail - Create Calendar Event that Includes Email Message

Google Documents - Creating Page Anchors (aka Bookmarks)

Google Contacts - Newest Area to Get Some "Google Love"