Enabling Mobile Secure Browser Using Configurator
How to Enable Mobile Secure Browser Using Configurator
The Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium provides directions for how to access the secure testing environment on individual devices. They even provide a pdf document specifically "About the Secure Browsers for iPad and Android Tablets."
But what about if you manage your devices using Apple Configurator? Here are the directions for setting it up using Configurator - and the beauty is you don't have to touch each device individually!
First, the device must be supervised for this to work. If it isn’t, you will first need to supervise it. Please remember - that when you supervise a device it is completely wiped to factory settings.
- Download AIRSecure Test https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/airsecuretest/id607002517?mt=8
- Add AIRSecure Test to your apps list in Configurator
- Select the device(s) or the group(s) of devices
- Add AIRSecure Test as one of the apps on the device
When you want to go into Secure Browser mode:
- Select the device(s) or the group(s) of devices wanted in secure testing mode
- In the settings next to “Lock to App” select AIRSecure Test from the drop-down list
This will lock the device into the app - students cannot do anything else. The advantages of using Configurator is that it does not require setup on each individual device, nor does it require the use of a passcode to turn it on/off. The disadvantage is that you do have to reconnect the devices to turn it off.
To leave Secure Browser mode:
- Select the device(s) or the group(s) of devices to take out of secure testing mode
- In the settings next to “Lock to App” select None from the drop-down list